His mother became a great influence in his musical career as she introduced her young son first, to the church drummer, and later to the church pianist (Meca E – Square Records). They both took him under their wing and taught him how to play the instruments; that was where his love for music was born.
He soon began to play the drums in church, but it was in Secondary School that Yung L started singing/rapping and also caught the performance bug. He began miming in school social events, and very quickly became a favourite amongst his peers. Yung’s hunger for the stage made him join a school group known as Mac9 – they would mime songs by some of Yung’s musical influences such as DMX and JayZ.
After secondary school, in 2005, Yung L enrolled at the University of Jos Medical School where he joggled both careers, releasing songs and working on his craft. It was during this time that he met with other budding Jos artists - Iceprince (now signed to Chocolate City Music) Endia, J.Milla, and Chopstix the producer – they formed the GRIP movement, with Yung L as an artist under Grip Music and also the acting president of the label. Grip Music comprises of individual artists Yung L, Endia, J.Milla and Chopstix, who collectively are known as the Grip Boiz – something like the Choc Boiz, or Wu Tang Clan.
In 2011, the guys decided to leave Jos, in search of greener pastures for their careers, this search led them to Lagos State, Nigeria. There they have settled and quickly become a prominent feature at a lot of events on the entertainment industry’s social calendar.
Yung L is a dynamic artist with proficiency in singing, song writing, “mouth” flute and drumming. He has worked with some of the industry’s heavy weights in various capacities, namely M.I, Jesse Jagz, El Dee the don, Ice Prince, MoCheddah, Wizkid, A1 amongst others.
- 2006 Released "Ewoo" which is one of the biggest songs in the North
- 2009 “Freestyle Song” produced by E kelly is still the biggest song in North
- 2010 Remake of Gyptian's “Hold U” Ranked the Number 2 remake in the world by bloggers.
- 2011 Featured on Ice's Prince smash Hit “Magician” and “Baby” on the ELI Album
- 2011 Featured on DJ Caise's smash hit “Shake Body” which got the attention of Quest Love from The Roots
-“Mr DJ” – Dj Atte feat. Grip Boiz
Performances and Appearances
- Iceprince Album launch: ELI concert, Eko Hotel Lagos, Nigeria
- Industry nite, Oriental Hotel, Lagos
- Performed along-side Ice Prince and MoCheddah on a club tour in South Africa 2011
- Performed at the One Mic Concert at Brown's Café, Lagos
- Performed at the ELI concerts in Liberia and Sierra Leone
- Performed at the Blackberry Concert at University of Lagos
- Performed at the Beach Soccer tournament, Lagos, Nigeria
- Also performed at different school Proms all over Nigeria
-Performed at Jos trade fair - 2010
-Headlined Silverbird Rhythm 93.7 concert twice 2009/2010
-Performed at all end of year medical dinners at UniJos
-Nominated as the HipHopWorld Awards(Headies) Rookie of the Year for his single “Red Rose” – 2012
-Song of the year “Freestyle Song” 2010 – University of Jos Awards
-Number 1 on Rhythm FM Jos “Top 50 songs of year”